Monday 23 May 2011

Day 54 - The Salt Mines

View of Hallstatt


Geared up for the Salt Mines

Mine Slides inside the mountain

View from our lunch spot
Today is Friday the 13th! Ah! Tante Carole and I went with Riko and Hide to the salt mines at Hallstatt. That’s right! I spent the whole day with a dentist! He said I had very nice teeth, but I didn’t tell him about the braces or all the cavities. At Hallstatt, we had to ride the cable car up the mountain. Then we learned about all the graves and tools/jewelry/artifacts that were found on the mountain from the oldest salt miners in the world (7000 years). Then we took a tour through the mountain (in protective clothing), where we learned about mining and miners throughout history. This makes it sound super boring but it was actually fun and interesting. They had wooden mining slides that took us down into the mountain. They went pretty fast. I was going 20 km/h. Tante Carole made 26 km/h! Our tour guide made 35.8 km/h!! I’m sure she practices though. At the end we rode a little train thing out of the mountain. Overall it was a pretty fun tour. Then we got a late lunch at a brewhouse built in 1595. Tante Carole let me in on a secret of not eating at crappy touristy places. She said always head for the church, because that’s where the town centre is, where all the town council buildings are and all the best cafes and other things to see and eat. It was a nice lunch right on the water, with a view of the mountains and a small castle right across the water. It was great. Later we had dinner with Rainer. It was a pretty fancy restaurant, so I had Chardonnay instead of my usual orangensaft. I ate chicken (which turned out to be wrapped in bacon, it was interesting) with a wild mushroom sauce and risotto balls (which was really just deep fried rice). Today was a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment