Friday 25 February 2011

Day 9 - Judenplatz and Celebration Dinner



Replica of the old Synagogue
This morning, I bumped around the house. Oh wait before I forget, I uploaded some pictures this morning. I’m curious to see what people think. I probably have taken ridiculously too many pictures. Then this afternoon, I went into the 4th district with Tante Carole. Their apartment is huge! It’s #17 in building 36 on Johann Strauss Gasse. I took the Ubahn (the subway; U standing for a word meaning underground and bahn referring to a place for travelling, kinda like in ‘autobahn’) to Operstat, the station near the State Opera building. Then I walked to Judenplatz (Jewish Square/Place), where the Jewish monument and museum are. In the museum, there is a hall to see the ruins of the oldest synagogue in the city. I learned quite a bit about the Jewish religion, especially after I left and Tante Carole explained what Kosher means. Then more gelato! And a stop at H&M where I got a new t-shirt, and a sundress for cheap. Then I took the Ubahn back to the 4th district, where I immediately got lost and had to ask a shopkeeper for directions, in German! I’m so proud of myself. I even understood her reply! I spent the rest of the evening reading Shantaram and a book on Viennese legends. Both are very interesting. Tonight I made dinner; Chicken Fettucini Alfredo, and I even made the sauce from scratch! It was very tasty. So we ate that and had Champagne, because we are now all officially on vacation, even Uncle Rainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment