Friday 11 March 2011

Day 26 - The Beautiful Sorrento

Swimming in the Mediterranean 

This morning I woke up totally refreshed and ready for a full day in Sorrento! I don’t like milk very much, but I find that it’s worse in Europe. I like Canadian milk better. Then the night guy brought me a cd. Last night he had seen me with my iPod and we got talking about music. So then I guess that’s what he did while we were all sleeping. Now I have a cd with 150 songs. So I added him on Facebook, so that I can say thanks later and tell him how the songs were. Then Dom and I headed for the train. Once we arrived in Sorrento we quickly realized that Sorrento is much nicer than Napoli. The views are beautiful, it’s right there on the water and... no garbage! Well, definitely not as much, barely any. First thing we did was find a map of Sorrento. Then we walked up to see the old wall of Sorrento. It was pretty cool and it had some nice views of hills/mountains and of course the water. Next we walked down to the Leonardo DaVinci museum. This guy is a genius. Not only is his art impressively accurate, but he also invented a huge number of things. I found the museum super interesting. There was only one part that had no english translation but, as far as I could tell, it was really interesting. I wish I understood more Italian. I think it was a comparison of his paintings and sculptures and his self-portrait. If I could read Italian, then I’d know the results of the comparison, which I’m sure is the best part. Then we had a delicious Margherita pizza at a street cafe. Afterwards, we walked down to the free public beach, which happens to be right beside the not free beach. I’m not sure how they are different. It’s the same water, just 5 meters to the left. The Mediterranean Sea is wonderfully refreshing. We had some fun with my waterproof camera, and this little girl came over and wanted her picture taken underwater too. We were both speaking different languages, but somehow communicated alright. It was an interesting exchange. Dom got out to read, and I swam some more before we headed back up to the train. Trains make me sleepy. Then we meant to get the famous Neapolitan pizza from Sorbillo’s, but it was closing, at 7!? Since when do Italians have dinner before 7? So on the way back  we bought drinks and snacks for cards that night. Vodka for tonight, since the guys bought the wine and the limoncello. So we warmed up our leftover noodles and set up for canasta with the boys. Dom and I were on a team (at the guys insistence) and we were totally kicking butt. So we switched up the teams after two rounds. So then Kevin and I kicked butt instead. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment